Monday, May 21, 2007

He's Paying Attention

My husband has of late made 2 comments which imply that he is paying more attention than I realized.

1. While wiping something up in the kitchen with a handknit discloth he said, in an almost indignant tone, "You didn't knit this!?" As if to say, "If you didn't knit it then where on earth did it come from?!" I asked him, "How do you *know* I didn't?" I was puzzled. He stammered for a second and then said, "You just didn't!" Does he watch what I knit that closely? Can he distinguish a piece of *my* knitting from someone else's? I guess this should be comforting. In case some evil genius has a plan to replicate me and replace me with a copy, my husband will recognize the switch when the copy starts to knit!

(The dishcloths were a silent auction find at the River Knits retreat. I love having a couple new, clean dishcloths that I didn't have to knit myself. If you were the knitter--thanks! But you'll never fool my husband!)

2. Saturday night I was ready to commence a new project, the Simple Scalloped Edge Pullover from Vermont Fiber Designs. I said aloud, but mostly to myself, "I think I'll just do a swatch tonight." My husband replied, "Oh you used to do that a lot, but you haven't done that in a long time." Blink. Very long silence while I absorbed this comment.
A) He notices that I knit swatches? Or furthermore, that I don't? Wow.
B) Do I really not knit swatches anymore? Did I used to?
C) Does "B" have any impact on the flagging success rate of recent garments which shall remain nameless?

Is it possible that *I* should be paying more attention?

4 comments:

Jamisyn said...

I laughed and laughed when I read this!!

Heather said...

I guess you can't fool Mother Nature OR Brent Ladd...

Kathie Schmitt said...

Hi, from the mysterious knitter of the dishcloths! Glad to see you (and your hubby) are enjoying them.....

And, this is a first -- I've never had anything on the internet before!

Kathie

Elizabeth said...

This could start something for you, Kathie!

And the dishcloths are great!