Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Basket o' Scarves

I'm making some pretty good progress on my Basket o' Scarves. In case you don't remember or are new to Tales From the River, I am knitting several scarves, which I intend to arrange decoratively in a big basket. I will take the basket home with me for Christmas and let friends and family choose a scarf.

All of the yarns used and many of the patterns are available at River Knits Fine Yarns

You can't really see the laciness of this one, but this is "A Lacy and Warm Scarf" from A Baker's Dozen of Warm Scarves by Cottage Creations. I used Ultra Alpaca...it was wonderful. I love, love, love this yarn.

This is one of Amanda's Seven Single Skein Scarves...it's called the Simple Seed Stitch Scarf. I used Plymouth Alpaca Brush. It knit up really quickly and was wonderful to feel the yarn. It didn't hurt that I was also using Lantern Moon ebony needles!

Another from Amanda's Single Skein collection...the Manos Cowl. I had never used Manos before...I will definitely be doing another scarf using this yarn!



You all may recognize this scarf from a previous post...the "heel" has been removed. This is the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf using Noro Silk Garden. I like this pattern a lot, and have another edition (below) for the basket...this one using Noro Kureyon.

But my favorite so far, is Elbac...Elbac is a reversible cable pattern. I really enjoy cables, but hesitate to use them in scarves because the wrong side looks so messy...so this reversible pattern hit the spot. I originally cast on for this scarf using some Ultra Alpaca, but felt like the cable pattern was lost in the color I had chosen. I like this pink much better, and love Lamb's Pride, but almost feel like this scarf requires a softer yarn.

I'm well on my way!










9 comments:

pink_deathbunni said...

i'm leaving this comment so my mom won't cry. whats wrong with you people.

billie jo said...

beautiful scarfs wish i was going home with you for christmas.

Elizabeth said...

I can guess who the Pink Deathbunni is. The girl with short shorts!

So anyway, I was going to say: How about Berroco Pure Merino for the reversible cable scarf? Very soft & sproingy & very nice stitch definition. I think I want one!

AND in case you were thinking of crying, while I wasn't commenting here on the blog I was writing a rough draft of the next RK newsletter and making links to the scarves in your post. They're great!

Heather said...

Josie was feeling a little weird tonight...as you probably guessed. I wasn't really crying. I promise.

Heather said...

The more I think about it, the better Pure Merino sounds for the Elbac scarf. That is great yarn...I thought about using it for the Keyhole Scarf from Stitch n Bitch...

Elizabeth said...

I've been thinking about it ever since I saw your post yesterday...

Saffista said...

I think that I am going to do a bit of scarf basket knitting myself. I have 2 scarves already that have no homes and are not scarves that I would wear, so I guess that I am on my way!

Heather said...

What I'm learning as I go through my stash looking for scarf yarn, is that I have a lot of green yarn. I'm going to have to go outside my color comfort zone for this basket. I've got the pink one going, and am starting one with a light purple...

Heather said...

What I'm learning as I go through my stash looking for scarf yarn, is that I have a lot of green yarn. I'm going to have to go outside my color comfort zone for this basket. I've got the pink one going, and am starting one with a light purple...