Monday, April 23, 2007

World Book and Copyright Day

Today is April 23, the anniversary of the deaths of both William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes, who both died on this date in 1616. In their honor, UNESCO has proclaimed this World Book and Copyright Day.

What does this mean to knitters?

Glad you asked.

I think it's an excellent opportunity for us to familiarize ourselves with copyright law and how it applies to our craft. Please remember that patterns, books and magazines (both in print and online) are all protected by copyright laws. Everytime you photocopy a pattern to "share" with a friend, you are taking money out of the pockets of designers and publishers. This is bad for all of us because if designers and publishers don't make a profit, they will stop publishing those patterns, books and magazines we all love.

For more information, please check out The Copyright FAQ for Knitters. (Admittedly, it hasn't been updated in quite some time, but the information is still useful and offers good basic guidelines.)

And, while you're at it, in the true spirit of the day, read a few sonnets, go rent one of the many movie versions of Hamlet (or, better yet, read it), or curl up and read a chapter or two from Don Quixote.

Stepping off my soapbox and returning to my knitting......

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I have never actually read Don Quixote. That sounds like a great thing to do though. Thanks for the reminder about copyright. Interestingly I am teaching my mother to knit today and handed her a packet of illustrations given to ME when I learned to knit about 16 years ago. When giving them to her to take home I realized they were copied for me years before I really knew any better. I think that means I need to buy my mom a knitting book in penance for learning to knit from bootlegged copies!