Saturday, March 31, 2007

Baby Bigfoot (Elizabeth)


Imagine how happy I was when Interweave Knits (Summer 05) published some baby socks based on my very favorite Priscilla Gibson-Roberts (henceforth PGR in all blog posts!) short row heel! Imagine how sad I was when my sock came out like this:

There are so many problems with it. First, I really do know that cables don't look so great in multicolored yarn. Really I do. But for some reason I had to try it anyway. The biggest problem is that it looks like it would fit Baby Bigfoot. I kept telling myself that *maybe* baby feet really looked like this; it's just been a long time since I've had a baby around. But....I never made the 2nd one.

Then Heather decided to do a class on Baby Socks and she was thoughtful enough to knit up some samples and bring them in to River Knits for display. Now I know what these should *really* look like. I've learned that baby sock feet should not look 3 times as big as the ankle and that solid colors really are very nice for these lovely stitch patterns. I think I might have to admit that row gauge matters too. Now I just have to decide if I should save my first attempt hoping someone can produce a baby with a very long foot?

No comments: