Friday, September 7, 2007

Knitting Vintage Socks

I love this book. I love knitting socks, and I love the idea that these patterns are adapted from patterns published in a 19th century British magazine...

This summer I decided to try to knit enough pairs of socks for Joe that he could wear handknit socks everyday, and I started the project with patterns from this book.



Here's what I've got so far...


The Gentleman's Plain Winter Sock with Dutch Heel, using Gems Merino (such a great sock yarn!) in a colorway called "Pewter". I'm not sure how the Dutch heel will feel inside a shoe, it's a little bulky on the bottom of the heel, but it was a great knit.

This is my favorite, both for the name and for the knit...the Gentleman's Fancy Sock. I used Lorna's Laces. I think the colorway is called "Baltic Sea".

And finally, the Gentleman's Shooting Stocking with Fluted Pattern, using Trekking. I'm not sure how I feel about this colorway for this particular pattern, but I think it'll do...




3 comments:

Jamisyn said...

...what a lucky man!

Elizabeth said...

All I can say, Heather, is that you are raising the bar pretty darn high for the rest of us knitting spouses...I hope mine doesn't read this blog.... ;-)

Selena Starfire said...

Wow! Sometimes I feel bad that Aaron thinks wool socks are too warm, but I'm glad he'll never get ideas from this.

And I won't comment on your choice of book ;-)